Sigyn and the human female did finally get around to using the colored sugar on actual cookies.
They chose to make the kind called “Spritz.” “Spritz.” What a silly word! Sounds like “spits,” which did NOT make me want to sample them.
The recipe called for a specific sort of shortening. I had hopes of watching the human female struggle with measuring spoons and cups and getting all greasy, but she had a stash of the fancy-fancy kind that comes pre-measured.
Cheating, that’s what it is!
They needed four eggs. A co-worker had given the human female some from his chickens.
They came in almost as many colors as the sugar they dyed! I liked the pale green one.
Eggs, sugar, shortening. A promising start.
The recipe called for almond flavoring and lemon juice. The human female asked if I’d get the lemon nice and juicy.
Fact: Kicking a lemon is the best way to do that.
Salt, baking powder, and multiple cups of flour.
I tried to distract the human female so she’d miscount the cups of flour and make either puddles or bricks, but sadly, she counted accurately.
I wondered how the cookies were going to be shaped. The human female doesn’t have the patience required for cutout cookies.
I was intrigued by this gadget.
The human female called it a cookie gun, which intrigued me even more! The intersection of cookery and weapons could only be good.
The cookie gun came with a selection of disks, each of which produced a different shape cookie. Squirt out cookies, then sprinkle with sugar–that seemed to be the method of production.
I was glad to see that not a lot of sugar ended up on each cookie. They weren’t as gaudy as I’d feared. (Though I think blue is still a weird color for food.)
Sigyn and the human female made lavender-sprinkled ovals.
And pink-sprinkled flowers.
I used a little magic to make sure that all the parts of the flower ones didn’t exactly coalesce properly.
So there was more than a bit of cookie carnage.
Ehehehe! No one was going to mind if I ate these up later. And, I must admit, they tasted remarkably good.
I also saw to it that the food coloring made the sugar a little damp, so it didn’t sprinkle evenly and a lot was wasted. Couldn’t have everything go smoothly, could I?
And more cookies. Eventually, Sigyn and the human female grew bored of making cookies in a single color and started getting fancy.
As predicted, the yellow sugar turned out not to show up on the cookies, and they ended up tinting it a pale orange instead. They put it on the butterflies and said they were “monarchs.”
All told, they made about twenty-dozen, not counting the ones I ate.
They took them to a party. The human female ended up bringing home a dozen and a half or so. I was tickled she ended up with so few after so much work and trust me, she does not need to be eating any cookies at all.
All that remains is for me to make sure the large amount of leftover colored sugar cakes up in the bottles so that it can’t readily be used again.
Oh, and eat the ones I stashed away.