Oh, look. It’s the annual eat-until-you-are-more-than-half-afraid-you’ll-burst holiday. Didn’t we just do this?
Sigyn says it’s also a day for giving thanks. She says I should make a list of my “blessings.”
I am not one naturally given to gratitude–or platitudes–but I suppose I am at least marginally thankful for the following:
- Sigyn, of course.
- Good health. I am the epitome of perfection, so no complaints here. Sigyn is fine too.
- Plenty of work. There is always something to bung up, disconnect, unbalance, leave fingerprints on, loosen the cap of, cancel an order for, or submit a bogus requisition for.
- It is still Too Wet to Mow. I’ve gotten out of more yard work this fall, and the human female is ashamed of the state of the lawn.
- The Terror Twins. I’ve trained them well, and they are now expert-level toy stashers. The house is full of mice and balls and none are in evidence. Taffy is into everything, and Flannel has learned how to barf from the top level of the cat tree.
- Colored leaves. (Sigyn made me add that one.)
- The human female. With her penchant for falling down, running into doorways and desk corners, and bludgeoning herself with lawn equipment, she’s an endless source of amusement. If I were making Thanksgiving dinner and she didn’t live in the house, I wouldn’t invite her, but she has her uses.
It’s a short list, but again, I’m not one for huge displays or mushy emotions. It will have to do.
Pass the pie.